Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tuesday's Tip

know what you know and know what you don't know.  and don't apologize for either.

i've spent a lot of time thinking about this, and although it is not a nifty organizational trick, i think it bears mentioning as a noteworthy tip for women everywhere.

there's an unspoken expectation, sometimes self-inflicted and sometimes not, for moms to be superwomen. interestingly enough, i think most moms are!  each of us have been equipped with an amazing amount of skill and talent to do something.  too often, i think we focus on the particular skill we don't have.  

let me give you an example.  for a long time, i've been putting a bit of expectation on myself to learn to sew.  i don't sew.  i never took home-ec, my mom never taught me,... i just don't do it.  i do a lot of other stuff - i cook, i garden, i organize, i teach, i write - i just don't sew.  this made me feel like i was not quite complete.  i don't know why.  i don't have any real need to sew.  everything i've ever wanted to do with a needle and thread, i've figured out - or i've found someone who could help me.  that was my big revelation. yes, knowing how to sew would be a good thing.  i may even learn some day.  but, for now, i'm not less of a mom or homemaker because i don't.  in fact, i've learned that knowing someone who does do the things i don't do, is just as good.  

it's freeing to know that i can call a friend who is good with a sewing machine and say, "hey, i'd really like a new valance for my girls' bedroom, but i know i'll never get anywhere trying to do it myself.  can you help me?"  there is no shame in that.  it doesn't make me weak to admit i'm not good at something.  because, you know why?  i'm good at other stuff.  and sometimes, i get a phone call from someone saying, "hey, my closet is a wreck and i don't even know where to start.  can you help me organize it?"  and i do.  

i help you.  you  help me.  in the process we learn from each other and grow a bit.  a co-op of supermoms, if you will.  because no one wants to be super alone.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. It is SO true. Perhaps that's why I try so many new things...like this garden. I didn't really want to do it, because I don't want to take care of it. But, we felt kind of pressured to do it by a family member, and then before we knew it, we were doing it. Now, we're excited about it, but don't think for a second that I'm thrilled about taking care of it--to me it is like another kid except not cute at all. :) We'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete