Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tuesday's Tip

i don't know about you, but i always think twice before i grab those flip-flops for the first time each spring. i'm not vain (or paranoid) enough to believe that everyone is staring at my feet, but i just like them looking a bit more... appropriate before they are all exposed and out there for the world to see.  but i'm old fashioned.  i still wear panty hose, too.

in a different life, i may be the woman getting weekly pedicures and manicures... but that's not my world.  and, honestly, i'm not so sure the frugal part of me would allow such indulgences even if money (and time) weren't an issue.  but they are - and because i believe that the lack of money and time are never excuses, i have a solution!

i do not keep my nails painted all the time.  the winter (cold, wood heat, and constant washing) is a bit too harsh on my skin and nails.  instead, i just moisturize like crazy and save the fancy stuff for nicer weather.  here's my routine, however, for when i'm ready to move out of socks and into sandals.

first, you need a pumice stone.

these are not expensive or hard to come by - check your local drugstore or walmart - but they make all the difference in the world if you have rough, dry feet.  i keep mine in the shower and every so often (more often in the summer) use it to smooth out the rough or calloused parts of my feet.  don't overuse to the point of cuts or irritation... but you'll be surprised at a what a difference it can make!  after that, i often use a body scrub of some sort to continue the process.  i don't have a favorite, or i'd let you know.

i always try to coordinate this with an evening shower for the following reason:  after your shower (or after you've soaked and scrubbed your feet), generously apply a very rich cream or lotion.  i recommend lay it on thick by bath and body works.  


you may have a favorite already, but you want something that is so rich that you feel like you can't really rub it all in - the kind where you don't want to touch anything afterwards.  in fact, vaseline works in a pinch.  another good one is mary kay's extra emollient night cream.  it's meant for the face, but does wonders on dry feet and hands, as well.  no matter what you use, be sure to apply generously and then put on a pair of clean socks and go to bed!  easy enough... but when you wake up the next morning, you'll see the difference.  i promise, it's the easiest and cheapest pedicure ever.  from that point on, you can maintain by applying the lotion and socks at night as often as you can and by using the pumice as needed.

now, if you want to step up your pedicure to involve color, that's not so hard.  i don't know about you, but i find that my the color i put on my toes always lasts longer than the color in my fingernails.  so, i don't mind the bit of time it takes to apply nail polish.  what i do hate, however, is how, once i apply the color, i feel trapped by toes that won't dry!  let's face it, most of us don't have time to sit around and wait for our toenail polish to harden.  and, heaven help you if put it on right before bed - you wake up with sheet imprints on what you thought were glossy lacquered toes.  so irritating... (can you tell i've thought about this way too much?)  thankfully, i've found a solution to this problem, too.  

i discovered Rimmel nail polish.  


seriously, i threw out all my nail polish and now use only rimmel.  extreme?  maybe.  but, for me, if nail polish does not dry quickly in the 2 minutes i took to actually paint my nails so that i can get back to making dinner or folding laundry or driving someone somewhere it just isn't worth it.  but besides that, if the quick drying polish chips off the first time i wash dishes, it also isn't worth it.  somehow, rimmel has managed to meet both my needs (and very affordably, i might add).  and, honestly, knowing my nails may last the week makes it worth the effort it takes to carve out a few minutes of my day.  

maybe this seems like a lot of consideration for something so frivolous.  maybe.  but i have a feeling that i'm not the only one out there fighting this battle.  any one else wanna come clean?

1 comment:

  1. I'll come clean and say that I get my nails done regularly if not often. My nails have always been in rough shape and the more pampering they get, the less breaking they do. That said, my feet are always in good shape so I don't get many pedicures, just the first of the summer pedicure (got one last Thursday).

    I paint my toes and fingers every Sunday night while the boy and I relax after Little Miss falls asleep. I usually pick a wacky color though realized I don't even have a neutral color. I love the quick dry tip though. I haven't found a good quick dry polish so I'll have to give this one a shot.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete