Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tuesday's Tip

Most of my tips involve simple, efficient, cost-effective living.  So, you wouldn't be surprised to know that my house is usually quite clutter-free.  Beyond that, however, I work hard at keeping my house clean.  I am not a germ-a-phobe, and you can bet that my children have licked their share of grocery cart handles (why, oh why, do they do that?)  Still, a house is not clean just because things are put away.  Unfortunately, I've also learned that, quite often, using every-day cleaners and household products to "clean" our homes makes them just as dangerous as if they were germy and bacteria covered.  

For the record, I am not selling anything.  I am not associated with any organization or company.  But, I feel very strongly that we should be aware of what we expose ourselves and our children to.  As a society, we work hard at removing toxins and chemicals from our vegetation, water supply, foods, and air.  However, recent studies show that some of those same toxins are brought willingly into the home in the form of cleaners and beauty products.  

Two years ago, I decided to make a healthier choice for my family.  I didn't change their eating habits.  I didn't institute a work-out regime.  I simply switched to chemical free house-hold products.  No, my house is not completely chemical free - but it's a lot better than it was!  As I mentioned, I am not affiliated with any particular manufacturer, but I have used the products of 3 main companies and have been very pleased. 

Shaklee introduced me to a safer way to clean.  Their basic cleaner (Basic H) is used as a concentrate to create 3 different types of cleaners - everyday cleaner, window/mirror cleaner, and degreaser.  The concentrate is so powerful that you use literally drops or teaspoonfuls in a 16 oz bottle of water.  I have had my concentrate for two years now and have barely put a dent in the bottle.  

Melaleuca is similar to Shaklee in that it offers a variety of concentrated cleaners.  It's key ingredient is melaleuca oil (more info can be found on the website) and is marked by a distinct smell.  Unlike Shaklee cleaners which are odorless, Melaleuca products leave a "clean" smell which some people prefer.  
 
I have, most recently, discovered Norwex.  Their main products are a variety of microfiber cloths that are  antibacterial because they are made with silver (a naturally antibacterial substance).  The cloths can be used dry or with water and actually disinfect surfaces.  

In addition to household cleaners, each of these companies also have Personal Care products (shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, etc) as well as typical household items (dishwashing detergent, hand soap, etc).  Shaklee and Melaleuca also carry a notable line of vitamins and supplements.  

The websites offer all kinds of information about how their products are different from typical cleaners... and how they meet safety standards and regulations (rather than just advertise it).  They also tell why household toxins are so dangerous - contributing to everyday ailments, such as asthma, that we assume we're just "born with."  If you are interested in learning more, check out the websites.  And if you want even more information, I can put you in contact with someone who can answer your questions or help you get the products for yourself.

I do not use these companies for all of my household cleaning and personal care needs.  But I do use them for quite a bit.  Concentrated cleaners with reusable bottles means I go through a lot less cleaner and, consequently, save money.  It also means I throw away a lot less waste and wash fewer chemical poisons down my drain to be released back into everyone else's soil and drinking water.  Regardless of your political or religious stance, we are called to care for this planet.  So, if I can use my money and resources in a way that keeps my family healthy and promotes overall environmental health, why wouldn't I do that?  

1 comment:

  1. I grew up on shaklee products. My grandma used basic H for everything. and I mean EVERYTHING. really. to a point that when I saw my big fat greek wedding I identified with the windex thing. anyway. yay for healthier cleaning!!

    ReplyDelete