Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tuesday's Tip

we're a people who love our coffee.
a drive through any american town will tell you that. if you can't find a Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts, you're sure to stumble upon a McDonalds, sporting their "McCafe."

just ask the 108,000,000 american coffee consumers in the US. it is reported that 54% of americans drink coffee daily. these days, i'm not sure if there's anything that such a large majority of us have in common. so, it stands to reason that we would spend billions of dollars on our dark habit each year.

i've learned, however, that a good cup of coffee doesn't have to cost you $4 a cup; nor do you have to leave the warmth and comfort of your own home to get it. personally, i don't think you need to pay an arm and a leg on fancy equipment or gourmet beans, either. invest in a decent coffee maker (and by that, i mean one that makes a super HOT pot of coffee) and find the brand of coffee you like. i'm a big DD fan but there are other brands out there that are also good (and not as expensive). aldi sells a bag of coffee they've aptly named "donut store blend," complete with pink and orange lettering, that tastes pretty similar.

many of you may remember last year's quest for my perfect coffee maker. i'm not sure if it exists, but i decided that the key is finding what's right for me. in my case, it was the hamilton beach summit brewstation. i love it. makes my coffee fast and HOT and even beeps when it's done. but it has another nifty feature, which brings me to my final factor in making good coffee at home. it reminds me when my coffee maker needs to be cleaned!
you see... right next to the time - it says "clean." brilliant. not that i wouldn't remember on my own - i learned a long time ago that a clean coffee maker makes even the cheapest coffee taste better. but it's nice to be reminded so that i make sure it happens on a regular basis.

first, let me say, that i learned early on from my mother to never put your coffee maker parts in the dishwasher. (or many other appliance accessories, for that matter) regrettably, and much to my mother's occasional irritation, my father has not learned this same lesson. handwashing the carafe (if you have one; this one does not) and filter basket helps to maintain the integrity of your appliance, thus making it last longer. she also taught me, however, that a clean carafe is not the same as a clean coffee maker.

you can buy coffee maker cleaners from different manufacturers, but i've never used them. good old fashioned vinegar and water does the trick for me.
fill your coffee maker with equal parts vinegar and water and then turn it on. the odor won't be as aromatic as a pot of coffee, but it does the trick. when it's finished, pour it out and refill the coffee maker with just water, and run it through again. once that is finished, i clean out my reservoir (or carafe, in "normal" coffee makers) by filling it with warm soapy water and allowing it to soak for a bit before using a brush or sponge to give it a thorough scrubbing.

the result is an amazingly fresh pot of coffee. fresh enough that you'll remember to clean it out the next month.

1 comment:

  1. We don't drink much coffee, but I'm addicted to tea, and fortunately it's EXTREMELY cheap.

    Your comments about the coffee maker reminded me that over the holidays I saw that Mr. Coffee has a hot chocolate maker. Really?! Does anyone need that?

    ReplyDelete