Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Tuesday's Tip

you'd think that with christmas coming, i'd have some kind of festive, yuletide tip. but, no.
rotting bananas. that's all i got...
i don't know about your family, but i seem to have a hard time figuring out who's gonna eat what when. one week, we don't seem to use up more than two loaves of bread. the next week, we've finished three in four days time. same thing with bananas. one day everyone wants one... the next day, i couldn't pay them to eat a banana. and this is what happens. i catch a glimpse of my fruit basket out of the corner of my eye and see this:
oh well... i guess i could just throw them out. but i don't. i don't feel as bad for misjudging the week's need for bananas if i can come up with some kind of use for the poor spotted, shriveled things.

so, instead of tossing them, i remove the peels and place the mushy bananas in a resealable freezer bag, labeling the bag with how many bananas are in it. then i put the bag in the freezer until i'm making something that requires bananas.... banana bread, banana muffins, banana pancakes,... smoothies. because it seems that whenever i have the desire to make one of those things, i don't have enough ripe bananas on hand. not anymore... i've got a few bags in the freezer right now.

2 comments:

  1. great tip- I usually put the whole banana in the frig, thinking I'll use it in a couple days.. then I forget about it and it just gets gross! So I'll do this from now on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom does that. She's a banana bread person. I freeze my bread in plastic bags and in groups of 4. I'm the only one who eats sandwiches so I can pull out a bag and not have to defrost a whole loaf (or let a whole loaf go to waste).

    ReplyDelete