Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tuesday's Tip

As a Christian parent, I am aware that educating our children according to our faith is not always easy.  Time is a scarcity for many families.  If you have children of varying ages, it can be hard to find ways to communicate on everyone's level.  And, sometimes, parents aren't even sure where to start.

Over the summer, I came upon the book of Proverbs in my daily reading and, as I made my way through the book, couldn't help but notice how much of the book was easily applicable to children.  The plan that resulted was simple.  I made note of all the verses that I felt could easily be explained and applied to a child and then copied each verse on a 3x5 card.  A hole punch in each corner and a binder ring and I now have a  set of Proverbs for my kids.

I use these in the morning as we wait for the bus.  We drive to the bus stop and often wait for a few minutes.  I read one proverb each morning and let each child comment - then we discuss what it means and how we can apply it to our day.

Consider a "stack of Proverbs" for the new year.  Even if you don't think of yourself as "religious" or very spiritually motivated, consider taking your child through the book of Proverbs.  It is a great introduction to the Bible, and the wisdom found in it is universal.  You just might learn something, too.

1 comment:

  1. brilliant. I was just thinking of this today, actually. Reagan was asking all kinds of random "God" questions today which made me realize that I want to be more proactive in encouraging those types of conversations... love this!

    ReplyDelete