Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tuesday's Tip

I guess this tip is more of a recipe... but it falls in the "tip" category if you have kids that you are forever trying to feed without using the same old tired food options.

Personally, I refuse to indulge picky eaters.  I married one, and 12 years later, he has learned to not only eat but to enjoy foods that he always said he'd never touch.  And, occasionally, he thanks me for broadening his culinary horizons - and he also agrees that our children's whims regarding taste and texture only sets them up for bigger issues in the future.  So, our kids are learning to eat just about anything.  Yes, they each have their preferences, which we keep in mind (ie, Chloe doesn't like nuts in her food - so we won't make her eat desserts with nuts, but we also don't make extra desserts.  With that in mind, she has discovered that, if she really wants to eat something, the nuts don't bother her that much.  Hmm...)

For all of those reasons, I'm not a big fan of "kid friendly foods" in place of "real food."  I don't make a separate meal for the kids at dinner.  But, when I find a recipe that incorporates a kid-favorite, it makes a nice compromise.

Mac N Cheese Lasagna is one such compromise.

I like this recipe because it's simple.  It uses boxed macaroni and cheese (not my personal favorite, but the kids always think they're getting a treat).  It feels like a real meal.

recipe... for a 9x9 or 8x8 casserole / baker
1 pkg macaroni and cheese (Kraft or otherwise...), prepared according to directions
1 1/2 cu. spaghetti sauce
1/2 lb cooked ground beef
1 cu. shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp. parmesan cheese

Quite simply, you prepare the mac n cheese, brown the beef and mix with the sauce, layer the two ingredients two times (starting w/ a bit of sauce on the bottom of the pan), then top with the cheeses.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until heated through.

For an even more grown-up version, add peppers and onions to your sauce and try using more meat (or sausage!).

Try it... they'll like it :)

1 comment:

  1. Katie ...when my kids were growing up we called this Macaroni Goulash and even I loved it !! Dawn's kids like it as well...but I have not made it in forever...great reminder..Thanks !

    ReplyDelete