Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tuesday's Tip

i love meatloaf.

i never realized til i was an adult how odd this was, as i've learned that most people don't use "love" and "meatloaf" in the same sentence.  but my experience has only been positive, so i love to make meatloaf... especially for people who say they don't like it.

as a bonus, i'm including my recipe for meatloaf (the tip will follow towards the end).
the reason i think most people are not meatloaf fans is because they've only ever had dry, flavorless meatloaf.  the reason i love it is because i grew up with a mom who knew how to make it... and now my kids will tell anyone that meatloaf is one of their favorite meals.

here is how i make it:

Meatloaf
2 - 2 1/2 lbs of ground meat.  i suggest using half lean ground beef, half ground turkey.  do not use all ground turkey as it does not "set up" well; and all ground beef tends to come out too dry.
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup milk
1 beaten egg
2 TBSP ketchup
salt
pepper
onion powder

Meatloaf Topping
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp ground mustard (although, in a pinch, i've used dijon mustard)

Directions:
- combine milk and bread crumbs and set aside until the bread crumbs have absorbed all of the milk
- combine meat, egg, ketchup, and bread crumb mixture.  use your hands!  they are truly the best tool, although the pampered chef mix n chop works well, too.
- add about 2 tsp of onion powder (or more if you like).
- salt and pepper like you mean it
- shape in the form of a loaf and place in shallow greased dish (13x9 works well) or follow my tip below
- add topping (which has been mixed well)

bake at 350 for 45 minutes - 1 hour (depending on how large your meatloaf is)

i promise this meatloaf will be moist and flavorful... no need for gravy!

however,... here is something to make it a bit different.
every now and again (or if i'm short on time and don't want to wait an hour for dinner to cook), i cook my meatloaf in muffin tins!

here are the meatloaf muffins before they went in the oven.


i only show them pre-baked, so you can see that they come out of the oven much the same size (another reason lean meat is the way to go).


not only does cooking meatloaf this way speed up the whole dinner process (they are out of the oven in about 20 - 25 minutes), it adds a fun presentation to the table.  for kids, they are the perfect serving size.  it also ensures just the right amount of topping for everyone's portion (something we don't take lightly in our house).


try it!  maybe you love meatloaf, too.

ps) next week's tip is this week's side dish - amazing mashed potatoes you'll want to try.

6 comments:

  1. yum! I am also a meat loaf fan - except for the kind that has onions because the crunchy randomness is really terrible.

    So one time there was this guy named Nate who worked backstage... and he was behind a set that was about to hit an important knob on the back of the stage... so Nate jumped in front of it and almost got squished. My uncle was there and dryly said, "better Nate than lever". So now every time I hear that phrase I think of that and I laugh. thought you'd appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like meatloaf alright. My mom was a good meatloaf maker as well. I have no idea how she made it. I think I've made it once since we've been married. Dave does NOT like meatloaf. Oddly enough, meatloaf is how I figured out I was pregnant with Maryn...remind me to tell you that story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, now I can't make the meatloaf until the mashed potato recipe. :)

    I LOVE meatloaf. I really like my mom's (who makes a combination of my grandmothers' recipes). This one looks tasty though! Rob doesn't like meatloaf though I don't know why. Like I seriously can't comprehend how someone doesn't like meatloaf. It makes me so happy. It results in me not eating it often. Boo.

    Thanks for the tip! Everyday Foods also did lasagna and other types of food in tins. Last month. It was interesting and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm! Guess what? I actually have meatloaf on my menu for Friday! Yeah! I never thought of using muffin tins though. I have heard of making mini meatloafs, but this looks so much easier and the quicker bake time is exactly what I need since sometimes I think to make it in a hurry and that long bake time discourages me. :(

    Have you tried leftover meatloaf sandwiches? I haven't had one of them in about 10 years! But I remember them as being really good.

    April, I bet you could make the meatloaf like Katie's tip in muffin tins and then freeze them. You could have meatloaf whenever you wanted! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh, freezing mini meatloaves! good idea, kristy... if leftover meatloaf didn't disappear so quickly in this house i might actually try that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill and I both love meatloaf and I have tried many, many recipes but none of my kids like it...and none of mine were dry! Now that we are empty nesters I can make whatever I want; however, a loaf lasts us forever! So I make them in muffin tins so that I can freeze them and thaw for a easy and quick meal for the two of us! I learned a recipe in high school home ec that has green peppers and mustard that I love! So many variations of meatloaf, that's one of the things I love about it!

    ReplyDelete