Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Tuesday's Tip

this breezy 70 degree weather makes me ready for fall (i won't even pretend like it is fall, because i know that there's a sultry 90 degree day out there waiting to bite me in the butt sometime in october)  still, fall feelings make me think of fall food - and nothing says fall food like sweet potatoes.

i love to eat sweet potatoes, but i'll admit that there was a time when i avoided them simply because i hated the thought of preparing them.  for some reason, peeling sweet potatoes is incredibly challenging.  but then i learned a little trick that changed all of that.

scrub your sweet potatoes and cut them into big chunks (seriously, bigger is better).  then boil them (leave the skins on) until they are cooked - about 20 minutes.  once they are done, strain them in a colander and allow them to cool for a bit.  once you can handle them, simply pull the skins off - they will basically fall right off in your hand.  simple! 

now that you have a pot of cooked sweet potatoes, might as well whip up a batch of Sarah Short's sweet potato casserole.  you'll be glad you did!

1 comment:

  1. I've felt the same disdain for sweet potatoes, but their nutrient-rich goodness has always won out for me. Great idea! I'm impatient, and I always peel them and cut them into small pieces before boiling, but I'd venture to say we spend about the same amount of time. I'd bet you were less frustrated at the end, too! :)

    ReplyDelete