Wednesday, May 26, 2010

ahoy, lucy...

like any mother, i see a little bit of myself in each of my children.
patrick has my analytical, serious nature.
chloe and i both avoid confrontation and like to keep the peace.
tucker likes things a certain way and is willing to fight to see it done that way (hmm... does that sound like me?)
when it comes to lucy, i have to dig a bit deeper.

having to search for similarities between me and my 3rd child speaks more highly of her character than it does of mine, let me assure you.  i think the reason we seem so different is because that girl is just plain fun.  for real.  in some ways, it's embarrassing to admit that i'm not... but, like i've mentioned before, i know what i am, and i know what i'm not.  i can have fun, but i don't see myself as fun.  on the other hand, if i had to identify the word in a person, i'd choose her.  sometimes it's annoying to a person with my - ahem - tendencies.  but, usually, it's just entertaining.

her latest pursuits had me lurking outside with my camera...

she's got this things for pirates.
pirates.
i don't know why.  she hasn't watched any pirate movies lately.  or read any pirate books.  she used to have a thing for peter pan and, now that i think of it, recently asked me if she could watch it again.  
but i have no idea what would possess her to hang this particular work of personal artistic expression on her door (complete with phonetic caption):

 or make this hat and flag (which, incidentally, she named "jolly roger"):

and then recruit her brother to commandeer the back yard castle:

i love that she feels no obligation to be a certain way or play with certain people.  she has mentioned everyone in her class as a "best friend."  and she really means it.  i'm amazed at her ability to see the good, fun side of everyone... even the people some of us (ahem) might find annoying.  i pray that she keeps that quality - that ability to unconditionally love anyone in her path.  

i mean, really... who doesn't love lucy?



2 comments: