Wednesday, November 25, 2009

what i read

well, i guess cleaning sinks doesn't thrill everyone else as much as it does me. better luck next week.

since i've been posting what i'm reading, i thought i'd try to give a quick review of what i've read. i just finished Cecilia Ahern's There's No Place Like Here.

25055486.JPG.jpg

i had read PS I Love You and really liked it (and not just because i loved, loved, loved the movie), so i thought i'd give another book by her a try. i did not love it. in fact, i'm not really sure i liked it. but you know that feeling when you're reading a book you don't want to put down and you eagerly wait for all your work to be done and the kids to be in bed so you can go read that book? yeah, well, i wasn't feeling it. in fact, i was feeling something more like, "i gotta finish this book so i can move on with my life." i know, i know, i'm allowed to not finish but i refuse. because sometimes books like this surprise you and then you're glad you stuck with it. i kept waiting for it to get good... but it was just too far-fetched for me.


i'm not a big fan of fantasy... and i think she was trying to combine contemporary chick-lit fiction with fantasy. the protagonist, Sandy Shortt, has an obsession with finding lost things and somehow ends up in this alternate universe where all the lost things go. i guess that sounds interesting, but there were too many loose ends left "undone" by the end. and i really never felt like the main character learned or grew through the challenge of the story.


oh well. i think i'd still like to read another of Ahern's books... just to give her a chance to redeem herself. if any of you have read her stuff, do you have suggestions?


4 comments:

  1. Haven't read anything by her. Recently was recommended to read a book "When the Crickets Cry" or something like that.

    I read Wednesday letters...felt disconnected from it for some reason.

    Read the Siri Mitchell book and loved it. She's not churchy and I love that for a Christian writer.

    Currently reading "The Last Boy" by Robert Lieberman. It's pretty good and weird. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    Oh, and The Secret Life of Bees was AMAZING--it was full of sacred feminine mumbo jumbo, but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I love the idea of clean sinks!! It does give me a great feeling to have clean counters and a scrubbed sink drain- and my sink is black, not stainless.... different to clean.

    I just read the Scarlet Pimpernel for the first time- it has been a LONG time since I read a novel and it was great! :) Trying to read some more classics...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found her other books haven't clicked with me, not like P.S. I Love You. I actually liked the book better than the movie.

    Have you read The Help? It was my latest bookclub book. I really enjoyed it. It was the fastest I've ever read a 450 page book before. I could put it down, but I thought about it all the time. Good debut novel. I picked up a few more bestsellers today and hope they are as good as reviews say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only other one of hers I have absolutely loved was Rosie Dunne.

    ReplyDelete