Monday, November 9, 2009

stuck between a blog and a hard place

i haven't been posting a lot lately.
it's not for lack of ideas. or things to say. i have lots of them. let's face it, i'm full of them. however, i'm stuck.

writing has always been my outlet. those who have known me the longest can attest to this. my hidden stash of spiral notebooks and bound journals can also attest to this. and while i was never particularly secretive about this hobby, i have always been rather selective about whom i would allow to read my "stuff."

somewhere in the last 5 years, technology forced out my handwritten journals and introduced me to the wonderful world of blogging. and i liked it. somedays it let me tell funny stories about my kids. other times it served as my outlet for the day's frustrations. then, on very rare occasions, it became my virtual soapbox. when i began, i blogged to a very small community of bloggers - fellow moms, mostly sahms, who could feel my pain - or, at least, laugh at it.

then came facebook. facebook has linked me to everyone, everywhere, all at once. and i like it. for someone who strives for efficiency at all costs, it has consolidated all my efforts to make contact and keep in touch with people from my past and present and has even allowed me to make new friendships. it's an amazing thing. but now i'm stuck.

being connected with everyone everywhere means that my "audience" is not what it used to be. and you know what i mean. say it on facebook and it's out there. for good. and anyone who didn't see it will be told by everyone who did. sometimes this helps to keep us informed. however (and this is more often the case) it can also contribute to the ever growing cyber-rumor mill. even admitting that pushes me precariously to the very edge of my non-confrontational comfort zone. and THAT is my problem.

i am a people pleaser. i like people to be happy - happy, in general, yes, but happy with me would also be fantastic. this doesn't work so well in a social network as accommodating as facebook. i've seen seemingly innocent status messages spark 100 comment-long debates. others complain to no end about other's "stupid application notices." i find myself wanting to send people messages telling them how to "hide" the things that bother them, simply because the tension becomes too much. i know, i know,... i sound like a pansy. maybe i am.

unfortunately, though, this has transferred itself to my blogging. throughout my day i think of things i'd like to write about... but then i also think about the gauntlet any such blog must run once it's out there. and suddenly, the way i handled my 5 year old at breakfast this morning is being read by other moms, yes,... but it's also being read by far away family friends and church leadership and random teenagers as well as the child's aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents. i realize that none of that changes what did or did not take place at the breakfast table, but it does give one the feeling of having placed one's self under the microscope.

ok, so, yes, that's what blogging is. and, no, i don't have to make my blog accessible to everyone. but then that opens up even more controversy. let's say my blog is only read by other moms. let's even limit it to sahms. the amount of judgment and criticism (albeit, innocent and well-intentioned) within that audience is enough to induce a bout of writer's block. oh, i still know what i want to write about. but i have a hard time figuring out exactly how to word it.


consider these possible topics:

we debated over whether our 8 year old son should read this well-known series...
what??? you let your child read that?
OR
what's to debate? just be glad he's reading.

the kids have been sick. we went to the chiropractor...
are you kidding? a chiropractor?

so, then we had our flu shots...
flu shots?? are you crazy?

the kids picked out really cute costumes for halloween.
halloween, huh? we'd never let our kids do that...

but we took them to church for a halloween-alternative party...
halloween alternative? why do you need an alternative to dressing up and getting candy?

i'm tired of fighting with my 5 year old about what she wears to school...
children need to express themselves without restrictions.
OR
fighting? with a five year old? my children know better than to argue with their authority figures.

no, as a matter of fact, our kids don't play any sports or take any classes.
what do they do, then? they need time for themselves and to be involved in competitive activities...

last sunday, i took my daughter to a birthday party...
a birthday party? on a sunday? hmm...

so, i am thinking about doing "X" but i need to see what my husband says...
what your husband says? you're a grown woman!
OR
should you really be doing anything else? your family is your priority.

i could go on. and honestly,... none of these things are meant to target any one specifically (although i've gone back over this a few times, nervously wondering if i've worded it right or if anyone will find this post offensive... seriously, it's an illness) i've come to the conclusion, however, that many of us have the same thoughts. the rest of you just don't dwell on it for unhealthy amounts of time. i mean, we can call it "social networking" but aren't we making ourselves very vulnerable when we put all manner of opinions and thoughts and feelings "out there" to not only be read by the 20 people we talk to on a regular basis but also the boy we went to kindergarten with and mom's work friends and cousin Ann's boyfriend and the church secretary and... you see my point.

of course, all this only means something if you actually care what people think. and i can hear that now... "why do you care so much???"
well, i don't know.
but i do.
and i don't think that's bad.
but i think i need to learn to be able to write without fear.
and share even when it might challenge what someone else thinks.

but first, i may need a stiff drink.
what? you drink???

see what i mean?


9 comments:

  1. One of the most honest, well written, and transparent posts I've read in a very long time.

    "i mean, we can call it "social networking" but aren't we making ourselves very vulnerable when we put all manner of opinions and thoughts and feelings "out there" to not only be read by the 20 people we talk to on a regular basis but also the boy we went to kindergarten with and mom's work friends and cousin Ann's boyfriend and the church secretary and..."

    To this, I shout a resounding, "YES!" And, vulnerability - its a risk. But, amidst the controversy, the unfair judgement, the occasional criticism, the misunderstandings - is the joy of "having written" (do you feel that like I do?), the reward of encouraging another mom who so desperately needed to know she wasn't alone that day, and above all, the love of a God who says, "This is my girl. My daughter. Look what I'm doing in her life."

    Keep writing, my friend. Keep sharing what God's given you to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, although I don't have a blog, and this is one of the reasons, I know what you are talking about because of Facebook. Yesterday, I worded and reworded and rereworded a status, over and over, only to get frustrated, delete the whole thing, and click on the little red X in the corner of the screen. Why? all because I was wondering how this person would read into it, or how it would make that person feel, or start a negative chain in that direction. Blogging and Facebook have opened up a whole new world of communication, but it also has opened a whole new world of hurts and offenses for others who read the words or "tone" the wrong way. I can't say I have an answer, because like I said, I just hit delete! But I can say, I love keeping in touch with you this way, because...well...I'm not very good at keeping in touch. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. we drink way too much of the same water. I decided not to link my blog to facebook because it stresses me out too much. I've also been considering going back to a xanga-type community where I can type mom things without worrying that susie-church-lady is reading them and judging me.
    And last week, after I posted that stuff about the flu shot, I couldn't sleep one night because I was worried that I offended people. And then someone made a (joking) comment about me getting a flu shot at work, and I was all confused until I realized that we're friends on fb. way too much stress, I tell you.

    All that to say, I hope you don't ever stop "public" writing, because I appreciate your musings and thoughts. They've encouraged me and challenged me many times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the encouragement, girls. and, don't worry, katie, i won't stop. i know myself well enough to know that sometimes i just need to get it out - and then be done with it. and, honestly, i'm learning that as vulnerable as i feel sometimes, this can be a good way to toughen, up, too. funny thing is that i enjoy what other people post that are not just like me - because it makes me think and stretches me. maybe i should give the same credit to everyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep most of my stuff generic for a variety of reasons. My blog is linked to Facebook where I am friends with co-workers (my co-workers and I do not agree on many, many things, but we're closer regardless). As for parental decisions, I have made a decision a lot time ago that, unless it involves abuse, I would never criticize anyone's parenting. A snapshot of a day does not count as a view on one's parenting skills. You do what you need to do to get through the day and I can't throw any stones from my glass house.

    I am a people pleaser to a certain extent. I'm finding I'm less and less so as I grow older which kind of makes me a little happier.

    Also, I'm thankful for blogs and social networking because it's linked me back with people like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have encountered a lot of these mixed feelings in my six years of blogging. I've thought about making my blog completely private, just an online journal for ME and only ME; but I don't want to cut off my family who use it to stay up to date on the kids. On the other hand, I also don't like to have to censor myself, which I do all too often in fear of criticism. Good with the bad, I suppose. If I want to be 100% myself, I just journal the old way.

    As for Facebook, part of me just wants OUT of it altogether. I compromised by making my status only visible to a select few people --mostly other sahms and family. They are people I thought wouldn't judge me for whatever I posted on any given day, good or bad.

    Personally, I appreciate it when people are straight forward about their opinions and beliefs. You never know who is going to read your blog and be affected by your candor. I also feel like there is a way to do this without seeming like your judging others just because they don't believe the same things you do/parent the way you do/etc. and Katie, you really do an amazing job with this! I can't imagine anyone being offended or critical of ANY of those things above had you blogged them.

    As for Facebook, for all its negatives, I am glad to have reconnected with people from my past. You and I didn't know each other well at all in high school, but I was glad to find you! I looked up to you then as an aspiring Hallmark editor (LOL!) and I look up to you now as a mom and hope my kids turn out half as wonderful as yours seem to be.

    Keep blogging... really. :) You're inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, the other thing I've been learning is that people are nearly as concerned about what I post/say as I think they are. Sometimes I'll be so worried that I offended someone that I'll say something to them and they just stare at me like I lost my marbles. The bottom line is, if you have self-awareness, most of the time you won't actually be offending anyone. And if someone is going to judge you because they disagree, than they aren't a real friend anyway, and who cares. Easier said than done, but something my *couldn't care less what people think* husband has been encouraging me in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could have written this post because I have all the same issues. I, like Katie, haven't linked my blog to my Facebook, but then I wonder, if I wouldn't want my FB friends to read it, then why am I posting it out there for everyone to read?

    Perhaps the biggest problem that FB has spotlighted for me in my own life is my hesitancy to speak out about my faith. I have many friends who are non-believers, and I always wonder what they will think. And really, that's stupid because anyone who knows me knows that I'm a Christian. Grrr, it just makes me so mad at myself sometimes.

    I really thought I was a fairly self-confident person and happy with who I was until FB. It's made me re-examine quite a bit, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. And I'm getting to the point of feeling like if they have a problem with what I say, then THEY'RE the problem. (Not quite there yet, but almost.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you just put into words what I can never seem to verbalize. That is why my blog is private- it is basically my "lazy mom" baby book. I don't feel like I need to blog for an audience... I am blogging so my kids will actually have a small record of the childhood. And I am pretty bad at blogging.

    Facebook is tricky, because I mainly got on it to be an encouragement in the Lord to the young girls that were on there (in the meantime, I was WAYYYYY shocked at stuff that people wrote- now FB is tame!!). I really want to use it as a way to minister to others, encourage others, without having to leave my home, as I really can't that often! :)

    You are so talented, Katie. I always enjoyed riding the bus, listening to your stories. You are a writer, plain and simple. God has given you a gift to be able to synthesize thoughts in a witty, convicting, and transparant way that He wants you to use! Forget who may be offended; that may have been God's whole purpose to begin with.

    It would be easier to disengage sometimes, but you are salt and light in a way that is unique. You are so encouraging- how you are a mom of many, yet you take time to notice the little things about each of your children- among so many other ways.

    Fear of man brings a snare- doesn't it???!!! :)

    ReplyDelete