Tuesday, September 29, 2009

tucker and the tonsils...

i document. it's what i do. chuck makes fun of me for recording our family events rather than actually experiencing them. in the case of tucker's tonsillectomy, it was not my intention to document - i just figured i'd get a before and after shot. ironically, chuck took most of the pictures this time.

tucker's journey since last thursday has been challenging for all of us (although, i suppose physically, he is recovering right on schedule).

as he was prepared to go back to the OR, chuck read tucker's favorite book...
once he and daddy were fully changed, he definitely knew something was up. leading up to this point, he kept saying, "i don't want my tonsils out. i want to keep them."
although tucker clung to chuck before the surgery, he only wanted me afterwards. of course, he wasn't exactly coherent...
we were glad when he fell back to sleep on my lap, because every time he woke up he was not happy.
in fact, he was pretty miserable.
i can only imagine what it must feel like to "go to sleep" feeling fine only to wake up feeling like someone drove a truck down your throat. he kept telling us he was choking.
he refused to drink or try any popsicles (mainly because he HATES cold foods). all he really wanted was to go home. the nurse finally told him he could go home as soon as he started eating and drinking. to that, he responded, "give me that popsicle."
the ride home was a somber affair...
once home, however, chuck plopped his mattress right in front of the tv and granted him free access to the wii. this distracted him for the greater portion of the day.
he even got to nap there!
he looks peaceful here.
unfortunately, waking up is much harder than falling asleep,... and for the last several days this entire process has repeated itself every time he wakes up.

8 comments:

  1. aww. Glad he's doing better now. I had the same surgery when I was five. I remember that they wouldn't let me leave the hospital until I drank the apple juice but I hated apple juice so I refused to drink it. lol Maybe they should start asking the kids what they want to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... this is all very familiar to me. ;) Gotta love the post-anesthesia wakeup... it's a doozy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sad when they're so little, but good at the same time. glad everything went well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, poor little man. I hope he recovers full and quickly. That's quite a set up in front of the tv!

    Our Little Miss is the same way. She loves to play with Daddy but when she's not feeling well, it's all me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww... poor baby. he looks so cute in his little hospital garb, though. In another week he'll be back to Tucker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, Katie. He looks miserable! I hear it is even worse when you're an adult. Praying for a good day today. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweetheart. It breaks my heart when little ones hurt and don't understand. He's so precious, Katie. I'm glad he's on the mend now!

    PS. I document, too. Forever and ever. Amen.

    ReplyDelete