Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tuesday's Tip

this summer has not been my garden's finest hour.  last year, i was up to my eyeballs in tomatoes and zucchini.  this year, not so much.  we have been blessed by the abundance of others' produce, though, and i'm grateful.

one of the biggest food challenges of summertime is using up all the fresh foods before they go bad.  here's what i do with my peppers when they start to look a little "iffy."

as you can see, these bell peppers have seen better days.  i could either throw them away or find a way to incorporate them into that day's dinner...

instead, i cut out the bad parts...

then i chop everything up to "recipe size"

and place it all in a freezer bag.

not only does this prevent me from having to throw away the veggies that i forgot to use, but it also helps me keep a recipe necessity ready and on-hand in my freezer.

this also works with tomatoes (i believe...)  and just yesterday i chopped up several jalapenos for the same purpose (although i should have worn gloves because my fingers are still tingling).

give it a try - store a bit of summer in your freezer :)

1 comment:

  1. That's funny because Everyday Foods just did a feature on this same topic. They did tomatoes, corn, and other veggies and obviously fruits. I've only frozen fruit before.

    ReplyDelete