Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tuesday's Tip

i realize i'm preaching to the choir with this one.  but just in case...

embrace your local library.  for real.  i realize the value of this tip is largely dependent on what state you live in (thus determining how much money your library has to work with), but chances are your library offers things of which you're not yet aware!  

when i lived in pennsylvania, our county library was little more than a double-wide trailer, which is why i then discovered the joys of used book stores (but that's a whole other tip!).  here in maryland, however, the library system is quite complex and accommodating.  when my four children were all pre-schoolers, i avoided the library in an attempt to preserve the peace and quiet that i felt other readers deserved.  however, i soon learned that i can still enjoy the library without even having to take my little noisemakers in!  i browse and reserve all my books online.  i even get an email to let me know when my books are available and then others to inform me that they are almost due.  i am also able to renew materials online.  to make this whole system even better, my library (and many others) has a drive-thru window that has hours beyond the normal library hours so that i never have to get out of my car.  

now, i will say that it took me a while to discover all this.  i had grown up in the baltimore county library system but only recently discovered that the harford county library is the place for me.  and, until baltimore county stops charging for dvd rentals, they won't get my business.  it's amazing!  i can rent movies and video games for free.  and, if i'm willing to be a bit proactive, i can make sure they have what i want ahead of time so that they are ready to be picked up when i want them.  

beyond free movies, i can also "rent" audiobooks online which can then be uploaded to my ipod or mp3 player.  and another service i have not even used yet is all the free workshops and classes the library offers. there are all kinds of fun classes for kids, but there are others for adults - and they are not all book related.  i've seen quilting, gardening, video gaming, dancing, etc all offered at my local library.  

one final perk is that, although the library system works on a county-wide basis, it is interactive with every other system in the state.  which means that when my son discovers some obscure Star Wars novel which can not be found anywhere (except Amazon for $80), my local library discovered it 2 counties over, requested it, and emailed me two weeks later to let me know it was ready.  i like that.  

4 comments:

  1. I agree--LOVE our harford country library system! I love the drive through windows where you don't even need to haul all the little ones out...our closest library used to be a double wide trailer, but they recently expanded. I can't wait to go in and look! The Abingdon Library is a great outing in the summer because they have a little walkway, picnic area, and large fish pond. I miss being so close to that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! Ours is far more expansive than I realized. It does inter-library loan with several counties. I so appreciate that. And, when you combine that with PaperbackSwap, Half.com, or a used book store, you can save a significant chunk of change and be just as well-educated as the Barnes & Noble junkie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to the library when I lived in Perry Hall occasionally, but since we moved out to Abingdon - I go ALL the time!!!! We've watched more movies and tv shows than I can count - which was perfect with all of the snow this winter

    ReplyDelete
  4. you might have even convinced me...

    ReplyDelete